Gathering Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you for time to feed our faith as a family, and time to learn about how you are like a mother hen. Help our time to be holy time. In your name we pray, Amen.
Bible Story: Luke 13:31-35
This week’s story is about Jesus wanting to gather his people like a hen gathers her chicks. You can read about it in your family’s Bible (fair warning: I could not find this story in any of my children’s Bibles), or you can follow the link to an easy to read version here:
Discuss as a family: What do you know about hens and chicks? How is God like a mother hen? How are we like baby chicks to God? Here’s a little video to show you how a hen gathers her chicks:
In my family, we decided to find out what it was like to be gathered like chicks. My husband put his favorite blanket over his shoulders, and my kids gathered under his “wings.” He “clucked” and they “peeped.” It is a simple activity that they will not soon forget!
Activity: Heart Shaped Hens
I got the idea from this craft on Pinterest. You can find the original here:
We adapted it to fit the Bible theme of God gathering us as chicks underneath his wings.
Here’s what you will need for this craft:
Scrapbooking paper and brads (also a hole punch or awl and scissors)
Punches (or you can cut out hearts and circles in the right size)
This template for the body and wings: Hen Gathers Chicks Craft
- Cut out the template. Trace around the template on scrapbooking paper to make 1 body and 2 contrasting wings.
- Have your kids draw themselves or the whole family on the body of the hen (the large heart UPSIDE DOWN).
- Punch out three big hearts in the wing color, three small hearts in the body color, and 2 circles in the wing color.
- Attach two of the small hearts in the centers of the circles for the eyes. Fold the remaining small heart into a beak. Attach the eyes, beak, feet, and comb as shown in the pictures. (We forgot the waddle in our crafts! You could add one under the beak with a small heart, if desired.)
- Position the wings and punch a hole through the wing and body. Use a brad to attach the wing to the body. Repeat for the other wing.
Song: Gather Us In
This is a song by a friend of mine who is a Christian Folk Artist in the Twins Cities, MN, Nate Houge. It is easy to catch on to. Try it!
Thanks for your commitment to faithfully feed your family’s faith! I hope that this time was holy time for you.
Closing Prayer: (Can be a repeat after me prayer if you have non-readers in your family)
Thank you, God, for this holy time together to feed our faith as a family. Bless us as we remember that we belong to you, no matter what. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.