One of the churches in our parish has begun having inter-generational Sunday School once per month. We call it “Children’s Devotion Time” or “CDT.” Each child in the class has an older adult who serves as an individual mentor during devotion time. It includes an opening prayer, a large group Bible Story, an age-appropriate leaflet about the day that they work on in child/adult pairs, a closing prayer, and a simple craft. It is based on Family God Time, but done at church and for a larger group. Join us in this new faith formation experiment!
You can learn more about just how we have set this up here: Children’s Devotion Time Instructions
Large Group Gathering Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you for this time to learn more about the last thing that Jesus said to us. Help us to learn to be your witnesses, all the way to the ends of the earth. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Large Group Bible Story: Acts 1:1-11
Read about Jesus’ Ascension in a children’s Bible, your own Bible, or you can find the story here:
We used the Spark Story Bible for our resource. It was the story called “Ascension.” You can purchase your own copy here: https://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/product/8122/Spark-Story-Bible-Sunday-School-Edition
Work in Pairs:
Each child/adult pair has a four-page leaflet to work on which is developmentally appropriate for the child. They work through the leaflet together, taking as much time as they need. This month, I made a leaflet with a map activity. Children identified where they lived on a state, country, and world map, and drew stars where they live and arrows to the ends of the earth. I also found an Ascension Paint-By-Number Image here: http://www.biblewise.com/kids/fun/ascension-paint-by-num.php You can also use the children’s bulletin from your church.
Large Group Closing Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you that you that you went back home to heaven so that we will have a home there too. Help us to spread your love to the ends of the earth. In your name we pray, Amen.
Activity: String Art Arrows
(1) 14” section of 2 x 4 per student
(1) arrow template, printed on cardstock and cut out
(19) 16 x 1” wire nails with large heads per student
crochet thread in multiple colors
- Center the arrow template on the section of 2 x 4 and tape down, if desired. Mark the nail holes according to the dots on the arrow with an awl. Remove template.
- Drive one nail into each marked spot. Once they are each in securely, adjust the height of the nails until they are fairly even (I left ½” sticking out).
- Let the children and youth use string to fill in the design. On the example, I used red to outline, cream to fill in the middle, and red to do a double outline at the end. I secured the ends of each string around the bottom right nail.
- Put it on a shelf in an upright position to remind us that Ascension Day is when Jesus returns to heaven!
© 2018 by Pastor Breen Marie Sipes, Tri-Saints Lutheran Parish, Byron and Hardy, Nebraska. https://familygodtime.wordpress.com Please give credit where credit is due!