During the month of February, my family and I have decided to dedicate ourselves to celebrating God’s love. Stay tuned for a whole month of love (and hearts!) celebrating the one who first loved us.
Gathering Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you for time to feed our faith as a family, and time to remember how much you love us. Help our time together to be a holy time. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Bible Verse: Jeremiah 31:3 NRSV
The Lord appeared to him from far away.
“I have loved you with an everlasting love;
therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.”
Questions to Ponder:
- One of the big holidays that we celebrate in February is Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is often a time when we focus on romantic love, or friendship love, or even family love. Before any of those loving relationships came into our lives, who loved us first? How do you know?
- In this verse, God is reminding the prophet Jeremiah that he loved Jeremiah before he was born, he loves Jeremiah right now, and will love him all the way into eternity. What do you think about God loving each of us with that kind of love?
- When you love someone, you are faithful to them. In what ways has God been faithful to you?
Song: Everlasting Love
This song helps us to get this verse into our bodies as well as our minds and hearts. Enjoy!
Activity: Lacy Hearts
White card stock
Pink or red card stock
fancy edged scissors
tiny hole punch
regular hole punch
small heart punch
- Cut out a large heart from white card stock using the fancy edged scissors.
- Cut a smaller heart out of red or pink card stock.
- Write “I have loved you with an everlasting love! Jer. 3:13” on the red or pink heart. Glue it to the center of the white heart.
- Use the hole punches to make the white margin “lacy.” Hand completed hearts somewhere where you will see them often this week. We plan to hang them in our picture window so everyone can enjoy them.
Thanks for your commitment to faithfully feed your family’s faith! I hope that this time was holy time for you.
Closing Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you that you loved us before we were born, that you love us right now, and that you will love us forever and ever and ever! In your name we pray, Amen.