One of the churches in our parish has begun having inter-generational Sunday School once per month. We call it “Children’s Devotion Time” or “CDT.” Each child in the class has an older adult who serves as an individual mentor during devotion time. It includes an opening prayer, a large group Bible Story, an age-appropriate leaflet about the day that they work on in child/adult pairs, a closing prayer, and a simple craft. It is based on Family God Time, but done at church and for a larger group. Join us in this new faith formation experiment!
You can learn more about just how we have set this up here: Children’s Devotion Time Instructions
Large Group Gathering Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we are thankful for this time to learn more about the story of Palm Sunday and Holy Week. Help us to learn and grow together. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Large Group Bible Story: Matthew 21:1-11
Read about Palm Sunday in a children’s Bible, your own Bible, or you can find the story here:
We used the Whirl Story Bible for our resource. It was the story called “Hosanna.” You can purchase your own copy here:
Work in Pairs:
Each child/adult pair has a four-page leaflet to work on which is developmentally appropriate for the child. They work through the leaflet together, taking as much time as they need. I get these resources from sundaysandseasons.com, which is a paid subscription lectionary resource that my parish subscribes to. This month, I also included an explanation of Holy Week that I found here:
Large Group Closing Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you for being our king who loves us so very much. Help us to follow you, now and always. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Activity: Palm Leaves
Palm Craft Template:
1 sheet green card stock per pair
1 paint stir stick per pair, painted green
8 – 1”x6” strips patterned green scrapbook paper/card stock
1 – 1”x12” strip patterned green scrapbook paper/card stock
1. Trace around the template onto the plain green card stock. Cut the shape out of the green card stock.
2. Using the gel glue, glue the plain green palm to the back of the green paint stir stick (the side with the words, as it is hard to get the paint to completely cover over them).
3. Use the glue stick to get the front of the paint stick nice and sticky. Add the short strips of paper, as shown.
4. Add more glue from the glue stick to the top of the over lapping paper. Use the long strip of paper to cover the stick and the strips, as shown.
5. Use the scissors to trim the strips. Here is the completed project.
6. Have a Palm Parade! Shout or sing Hosanna as you wave your palms. Maybe the adults could be the “crowd” as the children play Jesus’ disciples in the parade.
© 2017 by Pastor Breen Marie Sipes, Tri-Saints Lutheran Parish, Byron and Hardy, Nebraska. https://familygodtime.wordpress.com Please give credit where credit is due!