One of the churches in our parish has begun having inter-generational Sunday School once per month. We call it “Children’s Devotion Time” or “CDT.” Each child in the class has an older adult who serves as an individual mentor during devotion time. It includes an opening prayer, a large group Bible Story, an age-appropriate leaflet about the day that they work on in child/adult pairs, a closing prayer, and a simple craft. It is based on Family God Time, but done at church and for a larger group. Join us in this new faith formation experiment!
You can learn more about just how we have set this up here:
Large Group Gathering Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you forthis time to learn more about the story of Christmas. Help us to remember the reason for this holy season. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Large Group Bible Story: Luke 2:1-20
Read about Jesus’ Birth in a children’s Bible, your own Bible, or you can find the story here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+2&version=ERV
We used “The Holy Moly Christmas Story” for our resource. Youcan purchase your own copy of the activity book here: https://www.beamingbooks.com/shop/product/21152/The-Holy-Moly-Christmas-Story
You can get a copy of the video here: https://www.beamingbooks.com/shop/product/21141/The-Holy-Moly-Christmas-Story-DVD
Practice Christmas Songs:
For our Christmas program this year, our children and youth are choosing four songs from this resource:
Nathan Drake is a church musician who makes classic hymns available on guitar with simplearrangements. Check it out!
Large Group Closing Prayer: (Do this prayer repeat-after-me style)
Dear Jesus, we thank you for coming down to live with us in the miracle of Christmas. We are looking forward to your coming. In your name we pray, Amen.
Activity: Angel Luminaries
Supplies needed per learner
(1) large clear plastic cup (16 oz.)
(1) copy of angel luminary skirt printed on vellum
(1/2) copy of angel wings and heads printed on cardstock
(1/2) yellow or gold pipe cleaner
(1-3) LED tea lights
1. Cut out the luminary skirt, one pair of wings, and one head.
2. Color the wings and head with colored pencils.
3. Color the back side of the luminary skirt with markers.
4. Twist the pipe cleaner into a halo.
5. Tape the luminary skirt to the upside-down cup.
6. Tape the wings to the back and the head to the top lip of the front. Add the halo.
7. Place LED tealights inside the cup to light the luminary. May the light of Christ be with you during this holy season!
© 2018 by Pastor Breen Marie Sipes, Tri-Saints Lutheran Parish, Byron and Hardy, Nebraska. https://familygodtime.wordpress.com Please give credit where credit is due!