One of the churches in our parish has begun having inter-generational Sunday School once per month. We call it “Children’s Devotion Time” or “CDT.” Each child in the class has an older adult who serves as an individual mentor during devotion time. It includes an opening prayer, a large group Bible Story, an age-appropriate leaflet about the day that they work on in child/adult pairs, a closing prayer, and a simple craft. It is based on Family God Time, but done at church and for a larger group. Join us in this new faith formation experiment!
You can learn more about just how we have set this up here: Children’s Devotion Time Instructions
Children’s Devotion Time February 2020: Love Your Enemies
Opening Prayer: (Lead repeat-after-me style. You can ask one of the children/youth to do this.)
we thank you
for loving us
all the way
no matter what.
Help us to learn
about your love today.
In Jesus name we pray,
2. Song: (Love Will Never Fail by KidSpring: https://youtu.be/KS5or9cSLnE)
Play the video of the song with motions and ask the learners to sing and move along. It is a short song, so you might want to try it two or three times.
3. Read: Love Your Enemies (Matthew 5:38-48 )
Read this story out loud as a large group in the Spark Story Bible, page 274.
4. Answer: Answer these questions in pairs as you work together to color the coloring page of your choice (I found some appropriate ones here: https://www.housemixblog.com/2017/05/22/11-bible-verses-to-teach-kids-with-printables/):
- When is it easy to love someone?
- When is it hard to love some?
- Tell a story about a time when you found it hard to love someone.
5. Do: Use the large heart punch and strips of paper to make 3 hearts for each person in your group. (Please help those who are not able to read/write well)
- On one heart, write the name of someone who you love.
- On the second heart, write the name of someone who loves you.
- On the third heart, write the name of someone who you find hard to love.
6. Pray: Have each person hold their three hearts in their hands. Pray this pray repeat-after me prayer (choose one member of your group to lead):
We thank you
for the people we love
the people who love us
and even for the people we find hard to love.
Open our hearts to love you
In your name we pray, Amen.
Use the push pins to attach your hearts to the bulletin board in the East Room. If you have time, continue with the “Love Is…”craft: https://familygodtime.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/love-is-stick-craft-instructions.pdf
© 2020 by Pastor Breen Marie Sipes, Tri-Saints Lutheran Parish, Byron and Hardy, Nebraska. https://familygodtime.wordpress.com Please give credit where credit is due!